Author Topic: Rescue of BDSM Library.com site  (Read 1992 times)

Offline webnik

• Global Moderator
Rescue of BDSM Library.com site
« on: March 23, 2020, 11:10:19 am »
As many of you will know, the owner of the popular bdsmlibrary.com site hasn't updated the site or replied to emails for over 3 years, and while the 10,000+ stories are still available, much of the site functionality has been disabled and it is probably only a matter of time before it all goes dark  :'(

I've rescued all the old stories, reviews & comments (as a read-only archive). This archive could be hosted by multiple sites in the future or even downloaded as a private archive on your computer/phone. (While archive.org is a fantastic resource, it is a terrible way to browse an entire site and it often misses a LOT of pages on sites it archives.)

Please let me know if you'd be interested in testing out the new archive on your computer/tablet/phone, different web browsers, letting me know of any problems so I can fix them, etc. Can you still login and post in the bdsmlibrary.com forums? I'd like to post about my archive project there as well, but the site has stopped new user registrations.

(Note that this is a personal project and nothing at all to do with Gromet's Plaza, and the Plaza won't be hosting this archive)

Offline icy

• Bound & Gagged
Re: Rescue of BDSM Library.com site
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 07:47:33 pm »
I noticed the slow death of this once great site too.  :( I loved the site because of it's wide and big storyboard and discussions forums, it had early on, when I started reading our favourite niche of literature on the internet years back, in the last millenium. ;)

Well, yes I can still login to the forums and the last posts aren't old, maybe a few weeks. But, is it allowed to simply copy the entire site and post the contents elsewhere? I meant because of copyrights? And some maybe dubious content (don't know if there's illegal stuff there ;) )?

Offline webnik

• Global Moderator
Re: Rescue of BDSM Library.com site
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 08:13:42 pm »
But, is it allowed to simply copy the entire site and post the contents elsewhere? I meant because of copyrights? And some maybe dubious content (don't know if there's illegal stuff there ;) )?

Well that is what archive.org does for most of the Internet, and has done for many years. So long as it is purely as an archive, and you aren't making any money from it (so no advertising, etc) then I can't see anyone complaining? If they do, just delete it. It would obviously need adult-friendly hosting, but it helps that there aren't any images or video (at least not in the stories section that I've rescued).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk