Author Topic: How big of a trash can needed?  (Read 4343 times)

rbbrswmmr

How big of a trash can needed?
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:34:05 am »
I want to figure out the volume of my body for something I am working on. I figure if I submerse myself in a trash can full of water I can measure the water that drained off and use that.

I am 5'11'', about 240lbs. How big of can d I need to be able to fit into? It would look odd if I were to try climbing in them at the hardware stores.

Daffy Duck

Re: How big of a trash can needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:28:02 am »
Arrrgh, the old Archimedes' principle.  Not recommended for trash bins - risk of drowning and risk of flooding.

Unless you are a super fit person that can lower yourself in on your arms, and bend your legs back at the knees, so your knees reach the bottom of the bin, a 240 litre bin is too small. Not just for the tight fit, but also because you are too tall.  I am 5' 9" and it is difficult to shut the lid.

I would recommend a 360 litre wheelie bin. There is room to sit down in there ! 

I have written various wheelie bin tips, on this site. Be sure to read them, especially the bit on polythene liners that can seal the wheelie bin (stops smells getting out AND fresh air getting in), so keep the lid ajar. If you get a headache or feel sleepy, it could be a sign of a lack of oxygen. Also beware of getting in bins in a public place, other people use them on the sly, and you don't want to be caught naked. Its just too many questions !  LOL.  Play safe and live to play again.

Daffy

rbbrswmmr

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 10:48:02 pm »
Arrrgh, the old Archimedes' principle.  Not recommended for trash bins - risk of drowning and risk of flooding.

Unless you are a super fit person that can lower yourself in on your arms, and bend your legs back at the knees, so your knees reach the bottom of the bin, a 240 litre bin is too small. Not just for the tight fit, but also because you are too tall.  I am 5' 9" and it is difficult to shut the lid.

I would recommend a 360 litre wheelie bin. There is room to sit down in there ! 

I have written various wheelie bin tips, on this site. Be sure to read them, especially the bit on polythene liners that can seal the wheelie bin (stops smells getting out AND fresh air getting in), so keep the lid ajar. If you get a headache or feel sleepy, it could be a sign of a lack of oxygen. Also beware of getting in bins in a public place, other people use them on the sly, and you don't want to be caught naked. Its just too many questions !  LOL.  Play safe and live to play again.

Daffy

Thank you.

I would use this outside in a tent that is enclosed so no one can see me. I do not plan to close the lid. In fact, if it came with a separate lid, it would be lying on the ground.

Do you have link to the tips?

Daffy Duck

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:36:03 am »
Glad you found that helpful.

"Life inside a wheelie bin" in the Trashcan Stories section (the one listed beneath Trashcan Discussion) is a good place to start.

Enjoy.

Daffy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk