Author Topic: Links Page(s)  (Read 5923 times)

Offline teanndaorsa

• Administrator
  • Bondage Master
Links Page(s)
« on: May 17, 2020, 01:49:58 pm »
So, to while away a lazy Sunday morning, I've taken a pass through the Links page on the main site. There were an awful lot of links that were effectively broken because the site maintainers had an affiliate programme but weren't keeping it up to date, so the sites are probably still there, but the links we had wouldn't work as-is. I may, at some point, do some forensics and restore some of them to life, even if they become just direct links to the site rather than affiliate links, because frankly I'm not fussed about the tiny amount of income they generate for the Plaza maintenance costs.

That does open up a wider question about whether the links page(s) in general are useful to readers, in their current form. I thought I'd solicit opinions here before embarking on a wider strategy of fixing them up. Do folks here ever find themselves browsing those pages trying to find new sites to visit? Or use them as a resource to remind themselves of a link they'd forgotten about?

I'm conscious that there's a high degree of link-rot, and that goes up the more sites are linked. Some are personal favourites of mine, some I'd never heard of before, and some are so ancient that they make the archived Geocities sites we host look positively modern. But there are so many that I'm not sure a big flat list of links is particularly useful, if you didn't know what you were looking for already, would that page really help you find it?

Offline gaby

• Selfbondage
    • El Placer de las Cuerdas
Re: Links Page(s)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 08:01:18 pm »
It is a tough work. I think you are right, a list of sites alphabetically ordered is not so useful. Maybe you could try to order them again by using some tags. Maybe you can also use some banners instead just plain text. A slider maybe? Something more striking.

Offline teanndaorsa

• Administrator
  • Bondage Master
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 10:30:28 pm »
Yes, I'd toyed with the notion of tagging links with the same sort of storycodes as the stories use, and then re-using something like webnik's great search engine to let people focus down their search to only those that hit the kinks they enjoy. Not trivial to do, but shifting this stuff into the database somehow might make it more maintainable as well.

Offline taurired

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 03:31:44 am »
It would be good if links are tagged.

Offline Zephyr

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 08:10:23 am »
Every once in a while I do use them to go looking other places. Not a lot but it does happen.
If the world around you is a dark place, you can fix this and have work to do. Get busy!

Offline Jessica

• Beautiful crossdressers
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 01:29:10 am »
It's a long list of places. It'll take some time to visit them all. It would be helpful if they were grouped by topic rather than alphabetically. That way everyone can go to the sites that suit them best.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk