Author Topic: How/when did you start writing?  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Tigerstretch

• Bound & Gagged
How/when did you start writing?
« on: February 24, 2020, 04:42:33 am »
I am curious to know how you started writing. Feel free to share if you want to. I'd really like to know. :)

In my case, I'm 42 years old, but I only started writing a couple of months ago and discovered that I liked it a lot. When I was in high school, I was not doing well. They forced us to read terrible books, and I never read them. I don't even know how I graduated. The only books I read were cartoons like Tintin, Le Scrameustache, and Lucky Luke. (all in french since I'm French Canadian). Then when I started working at 20yo, I stopped reading entirely.

In my late 20s, I learned to speak and read English and moved to an English province. I'm using two languages all the time now. About two years ago, I was a bit bored and didn't have any hobbies anymore. I went on Amazon and bought two series.
- Spice & Wolf (manga)
- Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon (Light Novel)
It was a lucky pick because they are both EXCELLENT series. So yeah, I read my first real book when I was 40yo. (I know, it's rather pathetic) ... The light novels are simple to understand and they don't discourage me. I read the 24 books in the series of is it wrong ... and even started reading other LN like Overlord and Legend of the galactic heroes.

Then three months ago, I decided to try writing. In one week, I wrote a 60k word light novel, and I have been editing it since then. I quickly realized that I bit more than I could chew. The number of things I learned while writing this sci-fi monster cut my legs off. I needed to find something else to practice on first else I'll never finish that novel.

So a few weeks ago, I started writing a short story here to learn and practice. Publishing 5-7k words story was so much easier than 60k words. Plus, the little feedbacks I received right away were awesome. You guys are great.

How was it for you?
Tigerstretch

Offline dpgsm

• Bound & Gagged
Re: How/when did you start writing?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:22:15 am »
 Hi
I started two years ago at the age of 63
After reading bondage stories, written to this site and others
for thirty yrs. 
But this site always encourages people to write their own and Gromets would help you to realize your story or contribution.
So I formulize my story outlook.
Back-Story, Set-up, Peril, Conclusion.
Wrote my first Halloween Story (the drive)
It was well received and liked. 
I have not stopped since
So good luck with your stories,

Offline Eido

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 12:26:33 am »
Hi,

I am married to a very vanilla lady. Writing is my outlet for thoughts about kink, fantasies, explorations, character sketches, and speculation about the technical aspects of (mostly) bondage.

I also have some trauma related baggage from my childhood. I'm pretty sure it is a contributor to my writing trains of thought.

Thanks for asking the question.

Eido

Offline loras pa6

• Bound & Gagged
    • My Stories
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 03:06:46 am »
I started writing about 12 years ago, releasing my second story first (Accidental Inheritance 1) then once the positive reviews came for that I polished up my original first story and posted it (The Hypno-Seduction of Lana).

I don't know where my kinks originated from but I know I had most of them way back as a pre-pubescent boy, before I knew anything about sex or fetishes.

Though I haven't submitted anything recently I have been writing. I am semi-actively working on a Slaviversary story, and have a Stone Basin Coven story that is going to expand the lore and move the characters out of the first days of Tiffany and Doug joining the Coven.

Aside from those I have two others started that I'm not sure if I'm going to move forward on and a few bouncing around in my head

Offline Zephyr

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 09:15:17 am »
I wrote as a teen (a half-century ago) a lot of Science Fiction (not good stuff, and not a lot of it written down) and then finally with advances in computer technology I got to the point I could actually start writing some of my erotic fantasies without the fear of getting nailed with a frying pan. Some of my stories here were written 15 years ago, I just never got around to and got around to having enough nerve to post it for others. I'm way past that now, thankfully. Now with the people who might wield frying pans out of my life and COVID giving me much more free time than I am happy with I can look through the files and post (and finish) what looks to be worthy.
If the world around you is a dark place, you can fix this and have work to do. Get busy!

Offline Tigerstretch

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 05:12:36 pm »
I wrote as a teen (a half-century ago) a lot of Science Fiction (not good stuff, and not a lot of it written down) and then finally with advances in computer technology I got to the point I could actually start writing some of my erotic fantasies without the fear of getting nailed with a frying pan. Some of my stories here were written 15 years ago, I just never got around to and got around to having enough nerve to post it for others. I'm way past that now, thankfully. Now with the people who might wield frying pans out of my life and COVID giving me much more free time than I am happy with I can look through the files and post (and finish) what looks to be worthy.

Yes, retrieve all those floppy disks from the attic and get to work. :D
Tigerstretch

Offline Rubberh

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 07:12:41 pm »
I always enjoyed writing. I never published. It was more just a hobby than an actual vocation. I did enjoy reading erotic literature ( literature to some, 'smut' to others). I was disappointed in a lot of it. I figured that I could write something better, so I worked on a few things. I wrote one story called 'The Golden Stud'. Alas, this was before storage media became less fragile and I lost my only copy except what I stored in my head. I still think I can recreate it but I moved on to other stories. My next was one I called 'Hippos' about a human pony. That was published in Sir Jeff's Pony girls' site. I went and contributed to the IAR website and one story at another site about a human robot. There was a story at the now defunct 'Peter Pain' site. It wasn't until I got to Gromets that I found a place where I could place everything. I considered resubmitting my earlier work, but I wondered if they would be as relevant today as they were then.

Offline rmcingle

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 07:48:47 pm »

I started writing BDSM stories back in the mid-90's.

This Internet thing was new back then, and it seemed that the sex trade was the fastest on the uptake of the new technology.  AOL was the biggest Internet Service Provider (ISP) and most people had dial-up modem, so web pages were kept simple as the download time could become excessive when you are running at 56K BAUD.

One of the popular web destinations were the 'Usenet' groups, which were also called 'newsgroups'. They were similar to forums, like this. There were thousands of groups, for every imaginable interest. The groups were divided first into major categories:  business, recreation, and 'alt'. Recreation would contain groups for fun things.  Rec.boats and rec.wakeboarding were groups I frequented often. The 'alt' category was more 'anything goes' and some ISPs would block those.

Alt.sex.spanking and alt.sex.spanking.stories were my favorites. The .stories group was just that: people would write stories and post them there, and then others could comment on them.

There were a few very prolific authors, some of which were very good! My favorite was John Benson. I wrote a number of stories and posted them there. 

I also started writing a novel length story.  At one time I actually tried to get it published.  This was back when the standard procedure was to print the story out, double spaced lines, and ship it off to a publisher. It was a package, not a letter! No luck, though.  I kept working on that novel for another 20 years before getting it online published. So now you can find "The Subjugation of Jade" on Amazon!

And no, I am not getting rich off that. It sells 20 copies a month or so. I wrote two more novels, which haven't done as well as the first.

I still write an occasional story and post here.  Writing has been my outlet, my way of scratching that itch.

R. Mc.

Offline Jessica

• Beautiful crossdressers
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 02:12:03 pm »
I like to write but only for my own consumption. The truth is that I have never thought of sharing a story. In my case the process of creating a story is quite long but I enjoy it very much.  :)

Offline Rubberh

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 07:12:25 pm »
Don't be afraid to share. If I hadn't have taken the chance and posted, I might have discontinued writing.

Offline Tigerstretch

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 05:29:41 am »
Don't be afraid to share. If I hadn't have taken the chance and posted, I might have discontinued writing.

+1 ... When I decided to send my first story to Teann, she went over it and gave me tons of pointer. My text was flooded with "..." and "!!!" and "???". Because of her feedback and the ones from the readers, I became a much better writer and much faster than I would have if I had tried to do evolve by myself.

I've been writing for a year now, and I'm still learning, and the better I get, the more fun it is to write.

Don't walk away from this pleasure. Write, publish, learn, and write again. :) It will only get better and better.
Tigerstretch

Offline MaxRoper

• Hogtied
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 12:53:47 am »
I've been writing bondage stories since adolescence (shortly after the Civil War). I sent a few to Mason (Tied & True Tales) but they were never posted. I started posting stories on this site in the hopes of meeting and corresponding with like-minded people. In the early days there were a number of people here who actually commented on stories (really!) and I made a few friends, even meeting up with one.

Those days are long gone. Comments are not common on most sites and are practically nonexistent here. I slowly moved my submissions to other sites (which aren't much better). I tried one last time here several months ago but received zero responses.

I write for my own enjoyment. I see no reason to shoot my stories off to a place where they aren't appreciated. I continue writing and share with a few friends, but otherwise don't post much anymore. I'd love to find a site with an involved group. Unfortunately, this ain't it.

Offline Eido

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 07:59:31 pm »
Well now I feel like crud.

I don't mean to hijack Tigerstretch's thread with a mea culpa, but dagnabbit Max, you have had nice feedback for my handful of stories here and I feel like that should be acknowledged. Especially since I don't read as much as I used to, and when I do, I am one of those dipsticks that doesn't comment.

I won't promise to do better, because I know myself too well. But I'll work on it.

Happy New Year,
Eido

Offline rbbral

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 06:21:37 pm »
I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before, a few years ago, but I'm happy to make a few comments again.

I have been writing for over 30 years, I actually started writing longhand, then gradually my typing skills improved. I think you have to first be a reader to be a writer. I'm an avid reader, always have been and it gives guidance, I think, with continuity, character development, plot lines, POV etc.

I love writing, simple as that, telling a story. I actually find writing easy and lots of fun. I'm no Dostoyevsky and that's not the point. You create some characters, find a plot, move it along, mix it up, you throw in a few red herrings, some table turning, some erotic scenes (isn't that why we enjoy it so much, let's not kid ourselves) whatever you like, you're in charge.

When I post it, I don't expect any comments back, it's nice when they come and I really appreciate that, but I don't get upset if there are none. I have done my story, I got a kick out of writing it, that's fine by me. If others like it, then great.

I got a few negative (anonymous, what else!) comments on Gagged Utopia but I just ignored them. An anonymous comment isn't worth a second's thought. Any comments I have received on Gromet have nearly always been supportive, but I don't check in every week to seek approbation. On the other hand I have commented on other people's stories, not many I admit, but I don't read that many other stories. Not many are to my 'specific tastes'(!).There are some authors that I like on this site and have made supportive comments in the past.

I'll carry on writing, because it's an enjoyable pastime. 

Offline John Bannergram

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 10:30:54 pm »
Just this year! I submitted my first story for the Halloween thing. Like everyone else I've been spending a lot of time at home and writing's been a new hobby for me. It's the first creative writing I've done since grade school. To my 5th grade teacher wherever you are, thanks for teaching me the life skills to um...write dirty stories on the Internet. Sorry Mrs. C. :)

I've found it to be a lot of fun. If no one comments I'm honestly ok with it, since I suspect a lot of people read without commenting. I confess I often do. That said, I've gotten some nice feedback and I've found people to be really supportive here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk