Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 24992 times)

Offline EvelynD

Re: New Owner
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2019, 01:59:31 pm »
Thanks for taking the job  :)

MLoveAuthor

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 02:28:58 pm »
Love how Teann is posting stories every four days and I appreciate their variety so much. She’s a great editor!

Offline teanndaorsa

• Administrator
  • Bondage Master
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 04:19:32 pm »
Ha, don't hold me to that four days thing. It's mostly because that's a good cadence for me right now, alternating between sessions of editing and then the cleanup for posting.

The rate of 4-5 stories every 4 days is also about the rate at which new stories come in, so that keeps the backlog relatively constant. As for the variety, for that you have to thank the authors, there's a wide variation in themes, but mostly I'm editing in the order they arrive. Occasionally I space out stories if there's too many similar themes in quick succession, because I recognise that it can be disappointing for the readers if they come to the site and can't find at least one recent story catering to their sort of kinks.

MLoveAuthor

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 05:12:26 pm »
Thank you, authors 😊 The variety is amazing!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 06:20:35 pm by MistiLoveF »

Offline TeaSer

• Bound & Gagged
  • Overweight underheight danish dominant married man
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 11:04:04 pm »
I don't know which work is actually needed to pass stories between the queues. You will need to read it, decide it's appropriate for the site and then.....?

My point is: Is any format easier to handle than others? Would e.g. a story in html be easier to handle than a story in word? The few stories I've written was delivered as html, but any other format could be prefered? markup / markdown? latex? nroff?

TeaSer
You can say I'm a worthless piece of shit - but remember! Even shit has it's value. If you're a fly.

Offline teanndaorsa

• Administrator
  • Bondage Master
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2020, 08:07:24 pm »
Well, there's certainly a non-trivial amount of work to get stories up on the site, but by and large the format it's delivered in is the least of my problems. I pretty much strip out most formatting and pare it down to simple, clean HTML. Italic and bold is preserved, everything else, indentation, double spacing, etc. gets taken out, deliberately. So you could deliver a plain text file, or raw text in an email, and it ends up looking pretty much the same as someone who's sent a Microsoft Word document. After they're emailed to me, they all end up in Google Docs, but that's the easy part of the process! When the editing is done, I convert them using a capable converter that generates most of the final HTML, but that part takes only a minute or so to copy/paste around.

The overwhelming proportion of the time spent on a story is the editing. I'm in the midst of writing up the process of what I do, including the readability rules I hold the text to, as a guide for potential volunteer editors to help me out with the workload. I'll make that public, in the hope that it acts as a guide to the authors too, because the biggest time saving for me would be if the submitted work already adhered to those basic rules. Some authors submit really clean, well-formatted text, and all it takes is a quick skim through to a) check it's not breaching a submission guideline, b) get a sense of the story so I can put the right codes on it. Those sorts of submissions can send me a 10,000 word story chapter and I can get it converted to nice clean HTML with story codes in 5-10 minutes.

Other authors send me text which is all over the place, missing or broken punctuation, weirdly formatted, big wall of text paragraphs that need to be broken up to be readable, sentences that run on for line after line, random capitalisation, parentheses everywhere, and many other issue. If I were to publish it verbatim, the readers would be left scratching their heads, or re-reading the same paragraph over and over again trying to figure out who did what to whom and what got stuck into where. Those can make a 2,000 word story take 30-45 minutes to edit, and are the main reason why publishing moves at the pace it does. Some are bad enough I'm forced to send them back to the authors and ask them to try and tackle the worst things, but most I simply take on the work myself. Because the ideas behind the stories are fun, and interesting, and technical issues really shouldn't get in the way of these things finding their way to the readers. I really love that you all submit your work here, I do appreciate it, and I'm not trying to hold people to professional writer standards, but there's a middle ground.

In the absence of a more complete guide though, the following would be a great start:
  • Put it in Google Docs or a similar modern editor. Don't fuss about the formatting, just make sure the text is all in there in proper paragraphs.
  • Turn on both spelling and grammar check. Fix every single one of the things that get underlined, or if you really, really know what you're doing, mark the things it complains about as ignored.
  • Make sure your story adheres to the rules of dialogue punctuation. All of them. There's only eight, they're really simple, and all of them are there for a reason. They are not a style choice, they are how English is written.
  • Split your paragraphs sensibly. Not just a new paragraph for each speaker, but no 50 line paragraphs, and no 1 line paragraphs. Both extremes are a sign that something has gone wrong.
  • Don't Just capitalise Random words. Capitalise names like Sheila, China, RubberTech Incorporated, and the DildoMaster 3000 fucking machine. Don't capitalise words just because you think they're Important. That's what bold is for.

Exceptions to the above apply, of course, if you know what you're doing. Be sure you do.

Do all those things, and you've cut out like 90% of the effort I'll have to put in to edit your story. Submitting in a sensible format saves me like 2%. Unless you save it in WordPerfect format. Seriously. The 90s called and they want their word processor back. Don't use WordPerfect.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:02:25 pm by teanndaorsa »

Offline TeaSer

• Bound & Gagged
  • Overweight underheight danish dominant married man
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 11:21:18 pm »
Thanks for your full reply. Not that I have any stories in process right now, but I do hope writes will adhere to your suggestions/rules and this way make your task easier.

TeaSer
You can say I'm a worthless piece of shit - but remember! Even shit has it's value. If you're a fly.

Offline Mikeroper1968

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2023, 08:53:05 pm »
Welcome to the grind!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk