Author Topic: The best way to say bottom?  (Read 4933 times)

Offline AmyAmy

• Loosely Tied
The best way to say bottom?
« on: August 14, 2016, 03:05:37 am »
No, I don't mean the submissive in a relationship...
What I've been struggling with lately is choosing between "butt", "bum", "ass", "bottom", "backside", etc. in writing.

This is a part of the anatomy that has to be mentioned, and the word used by the point-of-view character speaks to their personality and cultural background as well as doing the basic job of description.

Do US based readers find "bum" sounds too strange, and immediately conjures images of lazy no-good geezers, or can you easily make the translation in your head? UK readers are probably fine with ass, but might find it odd coming out of the mouth of a non-American character. I can't seem to find an easy solution to choosing between "bum" and "ass" when writing informal situations. I wouldn't ever choose "butt" unless the character was obviously American, and a certain type of character at that.

The longer words have their own connotations, and are too formal for many intimate situations. I'm sure there are spanking stories where they'd be perfect, but what about the rest of the time?

In the past I've veered back and forth on this. It's no good writing what initially sounds right to me if it sounds wrong to most readers.

Any thoughts?

A Pensive Pen

Re: The best way to say bottom?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 03:58:27 am »
Reading 'bum' would be an immediate flag to me that the author was probably themselves British (unless the character had been previously specified as British), but it generally isn't jarring and doesn't break my immersion (same with 'arse').

In choosing, I suppose the first consideration would be whether it's spoken dialogue or just narration. It also depends on the tone of this specific scene and of the story overall. Is there no room for levity, or can you be playful? If you're going for something harsh and serious, 'ass' is probably what you need. If not, then I personally tend to lean toward 'backside', 'bottom' (especially if I'm going for innocence or naivete), 'rear end' or just 'rear.' I would only use 'butt' in rare cases, and then only in dialogue. A character with the right personality would use 'butt', but I can't imagine it as a good choice for narration.

My point is that I get the impression you're trying to use the word to help make the scene, when it might be better to choose a word which fits a scene that's already defined. To that end, it might be best to just use whatever word for now, let the draft sit, then consider it again it editing. At that point you'll see the whole thing in front of you and be able to better use your instincts to say whether a specific word is helping or hurting the picture you're painting.

Finally, measured adjective use can be your friend here. One would say 'sore ass' yet probably never say 'sore rear'. It's all about what you're trying to convey, so perhaps you could consider what adjectives would best qualify and describe what you're going for (even if you won't actually put them in the final draft), and use that to judge which synonym you need.

Offline Lobo De la Sombra

• Global Moderator
  • Bound & Gagged
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 04:05:14 am »
You don't ask easy ones, do you Amy?  I've had the same question myself, more than once.  Ass can be too blatant, butt too crude, bum is ok if you're in England, fanny is ok anywhere except England, and derriere sounds way too formal or high class.  Backside and rear end sound kind of country.  I guess the best advice I can offer is that sometimes the best way to name that particular piece of anatomy is to not name it at all, or do so indirectly.  Cheeks is a good way, if a hand is sliding down a back toward them.  Globes works also, or globes of flesh, like having someone bent over and a whip/hand/etc. descending toward the firm globes thrust out by that position.  Or I guess you could go completely country and refer to where the seat of the pants would be if the person were wearing any.  Basically, what word to use is a feel thing, and, from what I've read of your work, your feel is as good as any I've seen.  Use what feels right to you.  No matter what word you use, there'll be some who agree and some who disagree.  What matters most is that you are satisfied that you've used the proper words to describe what you intended.  And if, by chance, you do discover the perfect way to decide which word to use, please let me know.  Which word to use for the other intimate areas (breasts, crotch, etc.) would also be appreciated.  Do what you do, Amy.  You do it well.
The more I look, the more I see.
The more I see, the more I learn.
The more I learn, the more I know.
The more I know, the less I understand.
The less I understand, the more I look.

Offline 64Fordman

• Global Moderator
  • Bondage Master
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 04:25:09 am »
Hi AmyAmy,

In my opinion bum has become a universally recognized word for ass and unless someone watches James Cagney movies all day no longer carries the depression era meaning. When I see it in a story I don’t even hesitate. I do think bum implies a softer, gentler mood. I’m going to kick his bum just doesn’t sound as menacing as kick his ass. So don’t throw the bums out.

P.S. Does this mean you’re about to submit more stories? Because I’ve been really bummed.

Offline Arkane

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:10:08 am »
Oh, the nuances of the english language.

I'm never going to master these.

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 04:33:17 pm »
I usually will vary my usages for describing the rear-end using the several variations depending on how forcefully the voice of the character or narrator speaks based on the situation. It depends on what the voice I hear as I am writing (as I generally enter the characters mind as I write; no, I'm not hearing voices  ;D) and base the wording depending on the mood of the scene.

As for British versions, it doesn't bother me in the slightest or take away from the story as I read. It is no different than boot for the rear compartment for a car, as in the US it is trunk; car park is a parking lot; lory is a truck. I just mentally make the translation and enjoy the story.

Just my two-cents,

Dana -- EPL

Offline Steve Spandex

• Bound & Gagged
  • Spandex Bound
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 07:25:23 pm »
Thesaurus.com lists the following:

backside
    behind
    bottom
    butt
    buttocks
    derrière
    fanny
    posterior
    rear
    rump
    seat
    tail
    tush
    breech
    fundament

But for some reason omits arse, ass and bum.

Personally, I try and use as many different words as possible, especially when repetition is necessary. 

Derrière (which should be italicised as its a non english word) is my favourite.  Pretentious....Moi? :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:05:37 pm by Steve Spandex »
There is no cure for Merinthophilia. Once you've got it, you're stuck with it for life.

MsBehavin

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 07:58:57 pm »
Its interesting to me that it seems ass is considered harsh to the US folk. For me ass is a 'friendly' term for bum. The term bum I see as a bit too 'British' (I can say that being a Brit :D) Personally, I prefer ass as I feel bum is a bit "oooh err missus... more tea vicar... ;)"

Buttocks is also good in my book as a descriptive term. Arse is ok too but a bit vulgar (though I use that term all the time  ;D)

A Pensive Pen

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 08:11:27 pm »
I'll admit ignorance on this one. I always thought arse was just an alternate spelling for ass that was used in the UK, the same as color and colour. I assumed the words were otherwise interchangeable. Are there other differences?

As for the harshness of 'ass', it's not so much that it's particularly vulgar (it's used very liberally) but rather that everything else seems lighter by comparison.

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 08:15:40 pm »
Arse is ok too but a bit vulgar (though I use that term all the time  ;D)

The British use of Arse is pretty much the equivalent to Ass in the US. However, males and females use it in the terms of "He/she as a nice ass!" quite frequently where the negativity is turn into a positive. But, with regards to personality, being called an ass in the US is pretty much a 'fight provoking' useage.

Dana -- EPL

Daffy Duck

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 09:09:19 pm »
Hi Amy,

The author always has the last word. Literally.

It is your story, so feel free to tell it as YOU want.

As others have pointed out, there are many different names and usages, so the answer depends on the story scenario. A gangster character is unlikely to use posterior in everyday speech; just as high society might refrain from saying arse.

Try not to have sleepless nights.

Daffy

Offline Steve Spandex

• Bound & Gagged
  • Spandex Bound
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 05:31:07 pm »
Absolutely right Daffy

Use whatever sounds right to you and don't worry about what others think.

Steve
There is no cure for Merinthophilia. Once you've got it, you're stuck with it for life.

Daffy Duck

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 05:47:20 pm »
Thanks for your support Steve.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk