Author Topic: An update on part 2 of "Putting the Past Behind Her"  (Read 4465 times)

DumpsterSlut

An update on part 2 of "Putting the Past Behind Her"
« on: October 27, 2018, 08:21:17 am »
Hey everyone-

Bad news. I just went and posted part 2 of "Putting the Past Behind Her". As it turned out, it was too long to post in these forums, so it cut off a whole ton of text from the end without telling me that it had done so. Unfortunately, I had been making changes to the story within the forum's text editor to fix some typos, so at the end I copied the whole thing back to my computer before realizing that over half of it was missing. Long story short, I lost all of my recent work on it.

I'm really bummed about this. I should have known better - I'd even considered that the story might get cut off by the forums if it was too long, but it seemed to post okay at first and only then when I went and edited it did the problem happen. I also should have known not to overwrite the copy of the story stored on my computer without making sure I had actually copied the whole thing. I tried a couple of recovery tools to see if I could get it back, but no luck. It's just straight-up gone.

I do still have a very old version of the story (but missing several of the possible endings(, as well as around the first third or so of the most recent version. This weekend I will post up what I can of it, but it won't be as long or have as many endings as I had written in total, and it will not have many of the revisions which I recently made to it (which were mostly small changes meant to make the story more enjoyable). It may also have some inconsistencies in it because I will be combining an older version of the ending with a newer version of the beginning. But I spent so much time on that story, I do not feel like re-editing the whole thing and re-writing the more recent additions, so a shorter version will have to do. There are other stories I want to work on rather than focusing on this one any longer.

On the bright side, for all of you, I should also have another story up in the next few days that features a very fancy recycling machine (and this time, I'll be careful not to lose the story!) So between that and the bits of "Putting the Past Behind Her" part 2 that I can cobble together, you should have plenty of reading material available over the next couple days. It's just that PtPBH2 just won't be as good or as long as I had planned.

Well, I suppose now we've seen what happens when a story gets left out at the curb for too long. :'(

PolytheneWrappedMe

Re: An update on part 2 of "Putting the Past Behind Her"
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 10:15:52 am »
Hi Disposse,

I am so sorry to hear that you lost a lot of hard work. I know how that feels. I find I sometimes run out of the [unaltered] 60 mins login time, and I sent something and the system times-out.

Alas, that is not the only bed news this weekend.

PWM

Offline malus_infantia

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 03:34:10 pm »
Awwww, that is a major bummer Dispose. While not particular to this forum, I've run into similar issues (as well as the time out issue PWM mentioned) when posting work. It's hella maddening - so my sympathies and understanding.

No matter how you proceed with PtPBH, I'm still extremely excited about reading it, as well as the other works you'll be posting

DumpsterSlut

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 04:34:37 pm »
Hey PWM. Worry not. The other "bad news" may not be so bad as you think. Check your email.

Thanks, Malus. I'll definitely be posting up some version of the story later today, and there will be other stories to come in any case. And with them, I will be much more careful!

PolytheneWrappedMe

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 05:37:59 pm »
Thank you, Disposee.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk