Author Topic: chat?  (Read 6848 times)

Offline ario120987

chat?
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:21:03 pm »
Has some form of  chat room or other real-time communication been thought of for The Forum?  while I have had plenty of Great interactions on the forum,  but sometimes making an entirely new thread just to ask one question or simply wanting to have a quick interaction with a few like-minded people might be a good use for a chat room of some sort.

ElectroPainLover

Re: chat?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:07:36 pm »
Hi Ario,

I don't believe it has been tried here. I can ask Gromet about it, but, there will be a lot of coding which would have to be done. The only way it wouldn't be too much work; possibly; is if there was only one 'group chat' room. I don't know how long that would suffice the members as I could see people asking for 'private chat' rooms soon after. So, we would have to make, probably, a general chat room for each genre, and, a few private rooms. A lot of coding. I'm teaching myself HTML as I repair the story codes and may eventually be able to help in such an endeavor.

Unfortunately, I am unsure how well it would go over with it being so hard to get members to vote in a story contest or comment on topics. Like I said, I will bring it up with the Big Guy and see what he says...but, even though making even a couple members happy, I don't know if two or three regular chatter's would be worth the coding time. I know that sounds callous and I don't like to make the few members who would use it feel like they're not important enough for the coding because you are... I will run it through the mix.

You could always start a poll to see how many members may actually be interested in a real-time chat area. It would give us something to make a decision on.

Thanks for your suggestion Ario...any suggestions are worth the time to consider.

Dana
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:25:55 pm by ElectroPainLover »

ElectroPainLover

Re: chat?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:21:53 am »
After some consideration and discussions with fellow staff, the option for a 'chat style' area would be more than we are really staffed to handle. There would have to be a moderator either in the room or 'on call' 24-7 and we simply cannot handle taking on such a demand. It would be great right up until someone started to abuse it. It opens up the problem of members abusing other members. Without some sort of moderation, at all times, there could be many more issues than fun.

There are numerous ways on Gromet's Forum to set up chats with other members using outside chat room sources. Gromet offers several of the most popular chat outlets for set up within members profiles. With these set up, other members will know how to reach you.

Also, posting for chats in the Personal's section  would allow members to reach out should they wish to chat.

For now, a direct chat option just isn't feesable for the staff to staff at this moment.

Sorry, but thank you for putting forth the idea.

Dana

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk