Poll

Do you feel the Story Contest Moderator can enter a story in the contest?

Yes.
11 (100%)
No.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: March 08, 2017, 07:27:46 pm

Author Topic: Poll - Moderator Submitting a Contest Story  (Read 19258 times)

ElectroPainLover

Poll - Moderator Submitting a Contest Story
« on: February 06, 2017, 06:56:48 pm »
Do you feel that the Story Contest Moderator should be allowed to enter the contest, or, do you feel, as Moderator, it would be grounds for exclusion?

Please, add a comment. It would help justify your answer and give a read on your feelings.

Offline MaxRoper

• Hogtied
Re: Poll - Moderator Submitting a Contest Story
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 07:00:59 pm »
So far the contests have been decided by a vote of forum members. As long as the Moderator doesn't decide the winner I see no conflict of interest involved in him/her entering the contest.

Max

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 07:05:13 pm »
To me, as the winner is voted upon and chosen by popular vote and not selected through a panel of judges, it makes absolutely no difference if the Moderator submits a story with regard to the winner. Every entry still has the same chance of winning based upon the quality of their writing and the story's content.

It would only give possible pause if the Moderator was a judge in the panel, of which, all judges would need to be excluded from entering the contest.

My answer is a firm and emphatic YES!, the Moderator is more than welcome to enter the Story Contest! So, please Fordman, I would enjoy seeing you offer an entry; and, reading such.

Dana

Offline 64Fordman

• Global Moderator
  • Bondage Master
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 08:34:19 pm »
Thank you all for the thoughtful comments, it’s extremely kind of you all. As contest moderator, and given the fact there is a monetary prize, the appearance of conflict would be enough prevent me from participating as a contestant.

I did, however, participate as a writer in the last contest. As you recall the topic was Bondage Adventure Fail, and I wrote the story ‘Free Shipping’ and submitted it to Gromet. It allowed me to personally experience writing a story within the time frame to provide data for future contests.

The next contest has already been established as a photo prompt and I was going to wait to throw my idea out, but since we’re talking I’ll do it now. I was thinking we could have guest moderators, if a member has an idea and wants to run an upcoming contest I would be totally supportive of that. The infusion of fresh ideas can only improve the whole process.

What do you think?

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:33:48 am »
"Boo! Boo! Anybody have an egg!?! Throw the bum out!!! Boo! Boo!" Says the crowd at the proclamation of the Moderator of Story Contests.

Monetary prize or not...votes are votes. You get votes...you win. I get votes...I win. I personally do not see a 'conflict of interest' here. However, I will yield to what you wish to decide and the direction you choose to take.

As for a 'Guest Moderator', I think it is a great idea and I would like to be the first to offer myself to that service. However, if any other member wishes to take Fordman up on this offer, I will gladly step aside and allow you to take the reigns. I would really enjoy members becoming involved enough to take on this type of project. More interaction and involvement of our members is what we need.

Seriously Fordman, I fully respect and support your decision to exempt yourself from the contest on moral grounds.

Dana

Offline Lobo De la Sombra

• Global Moderator
  • Bound & Gagged
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 01:37:05 am »
Myself, I don't see any reason why a Moderator shouldn't be allowed to enter the contest.  Since the winner is selected by member votes, no Mod has the ability to influence the outcome except by their own single vote, and only if it's that close.  Fordman, I definitely respect your choice to abstain from entering.  I'd probably do the same in your shoes.  As for the rest of us Mods, if we can't change the outcome, there's no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to post an entry.  Besides, if Mods hadn't been allowed to enter the last contest, the votes might have been hard to tally to select a winner from the remaining ONE story.  Here's hoping there'll be more to choose from this time around.
The more I look, the more I see.
The more I see, the more I learn.
The more I learn, the more I know.
The more I know, the less I understand.
The less I understand, the more I look.

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 01:58:11 am »
Fordman, I definitely respect your choice to abstain from entering.  I'd probably do the same in your shoes.

I fully agree with you about that Lobo. Though I support any Contest Moderator entering a 'vote-selected' contest, I too, would not participate. No different from the last Story Contest when I had thought of submitting a story I had already sent to Gromet (though it had not yet been published) until Fordman posted rules stating that it was not allowed. This posting had not been aimed at me as I had not mentioned that that was my intention. Later, he retracted that rule but I still wrote a different story to fall within the original posted rules.

Besides, if Mods hadn't been allowed to enter the last contest, the votes might have been hard to tally to select a winner from the remaining ONE story.  Here's hoping there'll be more to choose from this time around.

Oh, that is so true, so funny, and, tragically sad.

However, my initial point was about 'Contest Moderator's' being able to enter the contest. Being that they are the ones essentially running the contest. It was never a question of whether Admins or Mods or Owner's of the Plaza, for that matter, in question as being able to enter. Or, like you said; oh too sadly; the counts of the votes would have been much harder to determine (he says with jest).

Offline loras pa6

• Bound & Gagged
    • My Stories
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 03:22:17 am »
If the Moderator is not responsible for deciding the winner themselves, I see no reason why the Moderator cannot participate.

In a popular vote competition, as is the normal Contest here, the Moderator is strictly a planner of the event.

Now MAYBE they may have a slight forethought advantage if they choose the contest's defining subject, but that is negligible at best. And since that part of last two contests have been voted on via polls it is even less of an advantage in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:25:28 am by Loras Pa6 »

MsBehavin

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 05:05:58 am »
Firstly, I can't see any reason why a mod can't take part in the story writing contest as its member votes that count. But if you DO need a person on the moderating team who doesn't participate in any writing of contest entries then I'm up for consideration in doing that.

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 12:31:11 pm »
As the poll has clearly shows, so far, there is no reason for the Contest Moderator to abstain from the contest MsBehavin. I see it as where the Admins and Mods 'moral compasses' point. And, personally, it makes me even more proud to be a part! I see it as a way to prevent the slightest glimmer of impropriety or any misgivings should the Moderator win. I fully understand where Fordman's desire to exclude himself from the contest is rooted. I only wanted to see where the rest of the members stood and to show him that, if he should so wish, there would be nothing wrong with doing so.

Dana

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk