Poll

Do you prefer stories which are complete works in one, or, Stories which continue to multiple chapters? (Pick up to 2)

Single Story?
4 (30.8%)
Continuing to another chapter?
1 (7.7%)
Continuing for multiple chapters?
5 (38.5%)
A complete Saga?
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 03, 2016, 03:38:39 pm

Author Topic: Single Story or Continuing Saga?  (Read 4526 times)

ElectroPainLover

Single Story or Continuing Saga?
« on: October 20, 2016, 04:38:39 pm »
Do you like your stories short and sweet and end in a single reading or to continue on and follow the plot or characters through multiple chapters of the story?

My first story "Jessica's Torment" is a multiple chapter story. I am currently writing another multiple chapter story, "Isla de BDSM" which will be no less than twelve chapters and an optional "Orientation" chapter.

I wanted to find out if readers enjoy long, multi-chapter stories or prefer their stories short, to-the-point, and finished.

**Edit** Sorry all, forgot to mention you can pick two answers. I did it because, I too, enjoy differing length stories. **Edit**

Dana -- EPL
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:40:06 pm by ElectroPainLover »

Offline MaxRoper

• Hogtied
Re: Single Story or Continuing Saga?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:16:13 pm »
It's a good question but hard to answer. I enjoy stand-alone stories and continuing stories pretty much equally. I will vote for continuing stories because I like the opportunity of getting to know the characters, but many of my all-time favorites are stand-alone.

I assume the Complete Saga category is for long many-chapter but one-post tales, yes? I like them too. It's all about the writing style (and of course the content).

Max

Offline Steve Spandex

• Bound & Gagged
  • Spandex Bound
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 05:34:22 pm »
I can't really vote, cos they all have their pros and cons.

Afraid I'll have to pass on this one
There is no cure for Merinthophilia. Once you've got it, you're stuck with it for life.

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:42:19 pm »

I assume the Complete Saga category is for long many-chapter but one-post tales, yes? I like them too. It's all about the writing style (and of course the content).

Max
Thanks Max and Steve.

Yes, Complete Saga covers very long stories of a continuing nature...either plot or characters.

Dana -- EPL

Offline loras pa6

• Bound & Gagged
    • My Stories
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:03:19 pm »
I prefer my stories chapter style if they are online. Bookmarking is much harder on an online story.

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 05:47:35 pm »
Thanks Lora Pa.

Your answer points to one of the reasons I posed the question. Bookmarking an HTML story is very difficult (for me) and I wanted to inquire from the readers on how much time they wish to invest in reading a story. I understand it depends upon whether the story is entertaining enough to keep the reader interested.

With this question, however, I was primarily inquiring on whether readers prefer reading about 'Jack or Jane's' adventure in a story which concludes after one chapter, or, if readers enjoy reading several chapters about 'Jack or Jane'.

Storylines my mind has been drifting towards are continuing tales told throughout several chapters. Serialized one might say.

Whether my stories are single chapter stories or serialized, I try to keep a single story or individual chapters no longer than 8,000 ~ 9,000 words to allow readers a comfortable reading length of time.

Thanks again Loras Pa.

Dana -- EPL

Offline SwitchMan

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 06:22:02 pm »
I am also interested in the results of this informal poll.  I have written fairly long, mid-length, and short stories.  They are all satisfying as a writer in different ways, and I am certain that individual readers have a definite preference.  Primarily, I let my anticipated "story arc" dictate the length of a work.  Regarding longer works, I have found that it is better to introduce a multi-part work only after it is substantially complete.  Otherwise, the pressure to produce might be greater than the time available for writing.  For that reason, I have been limiting myself to shorter works these days.

I also like to vary the subject matter and story length to avoid re-plowing the same ground again and again.  It tends to make me less prolific, but I am happier with each work.

SwitchMan

P.S. I always value feedback, positive or negative, if anyone has read  of my works.    :D

Offline 64Fordman

• Global Moderator
  • Bondage Master
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 07:42:49 pm »
I don’t mind either way, ever visited Van’s Fiction, he’s the king of multi-chapter works IMO. My pet peeve is unfinished stories.

Fordman

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 08:41:44 pm »
Never have been to Van's Fiction Fordman. Got stuck here once I found Gromit. Many great stories and excellent writers have captivated me. Being a place to submit and have unofficially published has me hooked.

Dana -- EPL

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 09:19:44 pm »
Thanks SwitchMan.

I'm sorry I didn't leave feedback for The Body Puzzle. I believe I read that before I actually became a member of Gromet's. I re-read it today and remembered most of it. I had not read Shackles however. It was fantastic. Well written and very amusing and entertaining. I liked how such a simple plot-line was told with detail. I could almost feel her predicament as the story unfolded. Great job to you and C. C.!

Dana -- EPL

Offline Arkane

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 07:41:28 pm »
I'm not for the longer things, but I could love a good bondage saga made of self conclusive stories with the same characters and settings.

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 08:02:58 pm »
Thank you Arkane. That is just what I have in the works actually. Some elements of each chapter will need the Pre-chapter to fully understand when read as stand-alone chapters, but I hope to have each chapter fully self-contained.

Dana -- EPL

Offline TeaSer

• Bound & Gagged
  • Overweight underheight danish dominant married man
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 11:55:05 pm »
I'm sorry, Dana, I didn't vote on this one. Guess the question is too simple for a complex situation :)

I prefer stories to be read in chomps not more than 30 minutes. In this time I want the scene to be set, some character development, some action and some finale. I don't mind, however, to have sequels which can be read fairly independently. Like the 'ever increasing bondage', by Steve. Each chapter satisfied my requirements and each chapter could be read individually. Even if, of course, reading the story in the prescribed order did improve the joy (thanks to gromet for preventing cheating ;)

The story 'Summer of dares' was about the same - individual parts, which got even better by being read in sequence.

My own sequel about Marie is way more loosely connected - apart from the few characters being reused, the individual stories doesn't really add up. This is more in the style of the old 'Karen' stories (Karen being a girl, who has a fetish for extremely tight jeans). Leaning towards (but never getting close to the level of) the stories of Anne Gray.

hmmmm - wonders if this was an answer :)

Teaser
You can say I'm a worthless piece of shit - but remember! Even shit has it's value. If you're a fly.

ElectroPainLover

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 04:08:55 am »
Hey TeaSer,

First off, no need to be sorry. Polls are purely voluntary and to each person's desire to take part based upon the content and question. But, for me, even if you called me a dirty low-down *$^#, stinking *%$&, or a chicken-hearted *#$%^; you should not feel sorry as it is an opinion and you have the right to it.  ;D

Next, I feel the same about stories and their progression other than I may be willing to spend an hour or longer to read them. I've been compelled at times, depending upon the writer and the story, to read a book from sun-up to sun-down, non-stop. The Martian by Andy Weir being the last one to hold me so wrapped.

Jessica's Torment is written as a continuous story. I have been leaving little 'cliff-hangers' at the end to just be a no-good pile of *^*%*  ;D . Just kidding. Mainly because I still have so much to say and feel I need to cut the story where it is to keep it at a comfortable reading length...generally 8,000 to 9,000 words. Thus, Jessica is not a true single-chaptered story of progression; able to be read as stand-alone snips to a longer story-line.

My next multi-chaptered story will be. Isla de BDSM is being penned in the same way Steve has been offering his stories, though a little longer per segment. But, each chapter will be written with a beginning, body, and end as a self-contained story but will be a part of a much longer tale and advanced upon through the larger-stories sequencial advance. It will also suit your liking of immediate immersion into the 'good-stuff' as I am adding the main setup to the story as a pre-chapter for those wanting the details of the isle and skippable for those who do not.

Thanks for the input. I have run these last couple polls to possibly adjust some writing style for some stories. More or less focusing on writing some shorter stories for those wishing for them.

Thanks again TeaSer.

Dana -- EPL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk