Author Topic: Author question: audio readings of published works  (Read 796 times)

Offline teanndaorsa

• Administrator
  • Bondage Master
Author question: audio readings of published works
« on: August 05, 2024, 09:54:55 pm »
Hi there authors, I've been approached by Subspace with Steve to ask if there are any objections to Plaza stories being read aloud as part of their (free) podcast. My natural inclination is to say that it's fine, I'm broadly in favour of kinky stories getting a wider reach. It's probably arguable both ways, from a fair use copyright perspective: I doubt audio versions of the stories are really competing with the Plaza itself, and reading them aloud is transformative in some senses.

Many of the authors can no longer be contacted, so asking each author individually for permission before use is unlikely to be practical. If the general consensus here is positive I will most likely abide by that and give the green light for usage without asking. If it is negative then I will ask that they only read aloud those stories where they've contacted the author for consent (or stories like Jack Peacock's which have already been put in the public domain).

Offline bentbliss

• Bound & Gagged
Re: Author question: audio readings of published works
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2024, 11:29:10 pm »
I am fine with my stories being read aloud. More exposure isn't a bad thing to me as long as it remains free. I don’t plan on changing people to read my stories and I don’t want others to directly profit charging those who would listen. I don’t count sponsorships for the podcast as I listen to plenty of free podcasts that contain them. I have no idea if they have anyway nor do I expect mine would be considered. That is my two cents.

Offline Rubberh

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2024, 11:59:31 am »
I have no issue with any of my stories being used as long as they are attributed to myself. As bentbliss said, I do not plan on charging people to read them and as long as people aren't being directly charged (sponsorships the exception), I would love additional attention to my works.

Offline jakbird

• Bound & Gagged
  • Res Ipse Dicit - The work speaks for itself
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2024, 03:52:45 pm »
Obviously, I have no objections to anyone using my stories in any format.  All I ask is when the story is used it carries the "public domain" label, in the hope it will deter rip off artists who try to charge for what's free anywhere else. 

To date I've only found one instance where someone attempted to publish one of my longer stories under his own name, in installments.  When I sent the remainder of the story, and sequel, to the same website I did receive an apology from the person involved.  That's why I'm so particular about the "public domain" listing; incidents really do happen.

I imagine the majority of my stories are too long for a podcast, though I'd certainly like to hear one if it ever does happen.
  JAck Peacock
Tell me, O muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide

Offline loras pa6

• Bound & Gagged
    • My Stories
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2024, 02:45:54 am »
Same here, as long as proper credit is given I see no issue, and maybe they can give our little site a plug as well and draw some more readers in

Offline Owlbear

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2024, 07:12:10 pm »
As per other replies, as long as credit is given then I have no objections either.

Offline Eido

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2024, 04:33:13 am »
I'm good with any of mine being made into an audio, with attribution, of course. Thanks for the heads up :)
Eido

Offline PapaPalpatine

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2024, 02:59:18 am »
I'll have a listen to the podcast tonight, and let you know soon.

Offline PapaPalpatine

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2024, 01:34:24 am »
There's some stories in my back catalog that I'd like to put some polish on first if they're going to be read on a podcast. I'll give the green light for them when they're ready.

Offline Abbacor

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2024, 05:09:05 am »
I've got no problems with someone doing a semi-audio book kind of thing with my stories if they want to. Like others, I just want them to give proper credit to the author.

Offline Observer

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2024, 03:23:43 pm »
Like many others, I do agree with my story being used, with proper credit being given.  I do *NOT* agree to the audio being resold etc.  In other words, this permission is not transferable

I also caution vs assuming consent (because yes this is about CONSENT) for authors who cannot be contacted.  Some of them would not say yes, and we can't ignore this because the majority are saying yes.  It is not right to use their material without their permission.

Offline SwitchMan

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2024, 05:20:02 am »
I seem to be the exception to the rule here.  I would prefer not to consent.  I once found one of my stories on a podcast, and after the initial amazement subsided, I realized that the reader was average at best. If I want my stories converted to audio, which I might, I prefer to oversee the process.

Offline Observer

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2024, 11:31:31 pm »
Hi there authors, I've been approached by Subspace with Steve to ask if there are any objections to Plaza stories being read aloud as part of their (free) podcast. My natural inclination is to say that it's fine, I'm broadly in favour of kinky stories getting a wider reach. It's probably arguable both ways, from a fair use copyright perspective: I doubt audio versions of the stories are really competing with the Plaza itself, and reading them aloud is transformative in some senses.

Many of the authors can no longer be contacted, so asking each author individually for permission before use is unlikely to be practical. If the general consensus here is positive I will most likely abide by that and give the green light for usage without asking. If it is negative then I will ask that they only read aloud those stories where they've contacted the author for consent (or stories like Jack Peacock's which have already been put in the public domain).

The link to the podcast doesn't seem to work?

Offline teanndaorsa

• Administrator
  • Bondage Master
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2024, 03:14:20 pm »
The link to the podcast doesn't seem to work?

Yeah, for whatever reason none of the published episodes appear up any more. 🤷

Offline PapaPalpatine

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2024, 03:14:46 am »
This is indeed a head-scratcher. I did a search for the podcast myself and it looks like it all got taken down. Who knows, maybe Steve ran afoul of the ever-changing TOS on these sites?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk