Author Topic: A storycode for happy endings  (Read 189 times)

Offline JakAlbrt

A storycode for happy endings
« on: September 05, 2024, 03:53:01 am »
What about adding some kind of storycode that indicates whether or not there’s a happy ending (I.E. the submissive protagonist is happy/content with the situation or is rescued etc…). Personally, in regards to fiction and fantasy, I have no qualms with nc and reluct, but call me a sucker, I’ve always preferred happy endings.

Offline teanndaorsa

• Administrator
  • Bondage Master
Re: A storycode for happy endings
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2024, 01:36:16 pm »
I'm open to that, I too have a soft spot for positive kink tales. There are plenty of unambiguously happy outcome stories (e.g. Nature Walk, The Chateua) but it does get a bit less clear when you've got multi-part stories, like Evil Eva where they have ups and downs where one chapter is a downer but it's just a step on the journey towards an eventual happy conclusion.

The reluct tag is intended to denote stories where the protagonist wouldn't choose what happens to them, but enjoy (parts of) it when it happens. So would your criteria for a positive story be any where it ends no heavier than reluct, even if there are some mild nc aspects earlier on? Distinguishing them from stories where it starts cons or reluct, but ends nc?

The other issue I see is the implicit / implied judgment in the term. Plenty of positive stories aren't happy per se, e.g. Pet Correction is about a protagonist who's serving a prison sentence, even if it blossoms into romance it's often poignantly sad. And using 'positive' and other synonyms starts to feel like that stories with consensual themes are 'good' and those with non-consensual themes are 'bad'. I can't think of a non-judgy tag that conveys the notion that, at the end of the story, the protagonist is satisfied with how things have turned out.

Offline jackierabbit1

• Hogtied
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2024, 03:27:41 pm »
How about a smiley face for a happy ending, and a frowny one for something less than happy? :)

Offline JakAlbrt

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2024, 09:54:05 pm »
The other issue I see is the implicit / implied judgment in the term...

Hadn't really thought of that, & I agree. The last thing I would ever want is for another person to feel judged or some how lesser. Unfortunately I don't know any other way to describe it but with the words  'happy ending.' Although I do like the idea of using different emoji symbols.

I have certien likes & dislikes. I understand everyone is the same in that way. I have no issues with being a freindly & supportive to those who's likes/dislikes differ from my own.

Personly, & this is just my opinion, a 'happy' ending is when, at the end of the final chapter, or as the credits roll, the character(s) that were in bondage are safe and at least content with thier situation. Also, any character that can qualify as evil (someone who is willing/able to commit murder &/or rape without remorse) is captured & punished. Weather that punishment is being arrested & sent to prison or the tables getting turned on them, forcing them to endure whatever it was they forced on others.

I actually rather like stories that start out, or at least appear to be, 'nc' but then evolve into my idea of a happy ending. Although I lack the skills to write it myself, I had an idea for a kidnap story. Throughout the ordeal the victim is confused by how much they're enjoying the experience. It ends with the bound victim watching a video recording of themselves explaining they had arranged thier whole ordeal, including inducing amnesia, because they are a masochist who wanted the roleplay to be as real as possible.

Not every 'cons' or 'reluct' story ends in what I consider happy. I won't i.d. the title or author, because I am not intending to pass any kind of judgment, and still feel that the author is clearly talented as a writer, but I recently read a story that I enjoyed reading 99% of, but I did not enjoy the ending.

It was in the subs POV, they where enjoying all the torment & stimulation provided by the dom. At the very end however something went wrong, the sub got permanently stuck. It wasn't the doms fault, they really didn't do anything wrong, it just happened. Although it didn't specifically happen in the story, it's heavily implied that the sub will either be disposed of mafia style, or left in thier predicament to die of starvation/dehydration.

Going back to the matter at hand... I either lack the vocabulary or the creative intelligence to come up with a storycode that is generic enough not to implie some kind of judgment, but could also able to direct someone like me to the type of content I prefer 😓. Maybe different emoji is the way to go 🤔 I just don't know.

Also, I apologize for the rather long winded rant 😔

Offline jakbird

• Bound & Gagged
  • Res Ipse Dicit - The work speaks for itself
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2024, 08:29:50 pm »
Although I don't pay much attention to storycodes there is a place for them.  Some of Teann's choices for my stories are unexpected, yet never would I complain; often I find them amusing.  Is there a risk of being arbitrary in assigning a happy ending to a story?  Sure, but all editorial decisions reflect the personal judgement of the editor.  That's what defines the tone, the theme of the website.  If readers aren't happy with those choices, then they go elsewhere.

I'd be in favor of a happy ending storycode.  I'd define the criteria as a resolution of conflicts; the characters, at least the major ones, are content with how it all ends; and no one is left permanently damaged.  As to reluctant or the most evil of all, no consent, those are separate story elements which don't have to influence a happy ending.  Positive or negative?  My positive is likely everyone else's negative; I consider the terms irrelevant as they are too vague and ambiguous.  I appreciate not all (nearly all) my stories would qualify as happy or even positive, though that doesn't bother me.

So yes, let's have a (Teann's soft spot) happy ending storycode!
  Jack Peacock
Tell me, O muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk