Author Topic: Proposal for a story contest  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Arkane

• Bound & Gagged
Proposal for a story contest
« on: July 05, 2016, 04:38:38 pm »
I'd like to see if there's interest in a story contest. Not sure if I'll find the time to take part myself, or about the rules, but why don't we try it?

I think a necessary element is a maximum length, an end date and a theme.
Then a subforum should be opened for the contest and the stories posted there. After the end date all the forum members could express a single vote, to decide a victor.

For example: 3000 words, end date August, 15. Theme: the unexpected. This could be an unforeseen change in the (BDSM related) relationship between two characters, a dangerous or surprising development during a BDSM activity, a stroke of fate (for good or for bad).

Another example: same length and end date. Theme: crimefighting women. One (or more) girl or woman, sleuth, snoop, secret agent, spy, superheroine, police agent etc. fighting against bad guys, and the consequences of that.

Any takers?

A Pensive Pen

Re: Proposal for a story contest
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:06:51 pm »
I'm interested but an August 15 deadline would be difficult for me. I'd rather have more time for quality work than make something quick and dirty. The word limit and theme ideas are good though.

I might suggest a runoff voting system though, since there will likely be multiple entries that split the votes and a runoff will produce a clear winner. And perhaps a gentleman's/gentlewoman's agreement that no one votes for their own story :)

Info on runoff voting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

Offline Arkane

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 06:26:54 pm »
Both changes you propose are good, but what time limit could be OK then, if August 15 is too soon?
And what theme we should run first?

Offline Lobo De la Sombra

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 10:10:34 pm »
I think the contest idea is a good one.  Setting a theme would be a nice challenge for writers.  As for timing, I think a contest could be held as many as four times a year, with deadlines at the end of March, June, September and December, with 2-4 weeks after each deadline for reading and voting on stories.
The more I look, the more I see.
The more I see, the more I learn.
The more I learn, the more I know.
The more I know, the less I understand.
The less I understand, the more I look.

Offline 64Fordman

• Bondage Master
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:09:19 pm »
I agree with Lobo on number of contests, it can always be modified depending on the response. But it seems like it would require a designated moderator to collect the ideas and coordinate the contests, and since Lobo is already a moderator . . . Also, contests could alternate between a stated theme and a photo as a prompt. It might keep things more interesting and may produce greater variety in theme, one writer may see a photo as a bondage story and another as a packaged story. I also see writing contests in magazines that use a first sentence as a story prompt, the stories submitted from those are quite clever.

Offline Lobo De la Sombra

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 07:49:37 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, Fordman, but I don't think I would be a good choice for taking care of a contest, since I would be one of the writers entering stories.  That would be a conflict of interest, I think.  I would never even consider rigging a contest in my favor, but if I were to win one, the thought would be out there somewhere.  Not to mention my notoriously unrelliable internet service.  I'll help what I can with the idea, but I do believe someone else would be better suited to coordinate the contests if we have them.  Maybe you?
The more I look, the more I see.
The more I see, the more I learn.
The more I learn, the more I know.
The more I know, the less I understand.
The less I understand, the more I look.

Offline jackierabbit1

• Hogtied
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:27:12 am »
I very much like the idea of a contest, and putting a story to a picture, even a cartoon picture could be fun. Maybe the winner, (we would all be winners in a way as we would get to read the stories), would get to keep the picture that inspired their story with their story on the Plaza. Just to be totally up front and honest, as far as themes like crime fighting woman, I like that one so much I have a story I am presently working right now with those elements, I think giving me the unfair advantage of a head start. A picture however to inspire the story might remove some of those elements.

Just my thoughts, Jackie.

Offline 64Fordman

• Bondage Master
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 01:53:50 pm »
I understand your concern Lobo. I would be willing to serve if the member or members who presented the idea were asked first, and the final decision being Gromet’s. But I think the issue could be alleviated by votes being cast directly to the forum, the winner being the story receiving the most comments. It would allow authors to enter more than one story and all voting would be completely transparent.

Good ideas Jackie, Gromet could also add a star or tag the story as a contest winner.

Since it’s all for fun I don’t think the rules should be too rigid. If it improves the site by helping writers hone their skills and encourages more comments for all stories it’s a win win, win.

Offline Arkane

• Bound & Gagged
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »
I could help organize the contest, so I'd save myself the effort to write a story...  ;)
in this case I would need help with the rules because I never did something like that.

Offline 64Fordman

• Bondage Master
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 07:09:59 pm »
That’s great Arkane. You have already established the rules in your first post. If you want to ask for ideas from the forum members or use your own it’s your choice. (I would ask, it would be a way to engage the forum community and could become a marketing tool of sorts for Gromet to see what forum members are interested in. Never miss an opportunity to collect customer data) Then just announce a contest, provide the theme or story prompt, word count limit, submission deadline, and any special instructions you arrange with Gromet like if stories should be posted directly into the forum or submitted to him.

When the deadline hits there would be a voting period using whatever method you decide on with Gromet’s advice. Then announce the winner. To encourage more participation you might also consider a separate mention for best new writer, best new writer to the ______ section or something. Don’t worry, everything can be tweaked as needed. Thank you and good luck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk