Author Topic: Names?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Lobo De la Sombra

• Global Moderator
  • Bound & Gagged
Names?
« on: August 09, 2018, 08:02:25 am »
Hey all, it's been a while since I tossed out one of my questions for the writers here, so I thought I'd see what kind of response this one gets.  I can't swear that I haven't asked this before, but, if I have, it was on a version of the forum that no longer exists.  Anyway, the question is simple.  Where do you get the names for your characters?  Now, stories set in relatively modern times are easy, since there are so many names to choose from, names we're pretty well familiar with.  This question is aimed more toward the fantasy, historical and science fiction stories.  Myself, I've used two different methods for coming up with names.  Sometimes I just invent them as I go, like with my Homecoming stories.  Every name in that story came straight off the top of my head.  Other times, I use a name generator.  At the moment, I've got a new series taking shape inside that dark, warped void where my mind used to be.  For this one, I've found an excellent name generator site:  https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/.  So far, I've only looked into the site a little bit, but I can say it will generate personal names for human, alien and various fantasy races.  It also offers place names from single buildings to countries and continents, plant names, food names.  Basically, if it's something you need a name for, this site will help you find one.  So that's how I come up with names for my stories.  How about you?
The more I look, the more I see.
The more I see, the more I learn.
The more I learn, the more I know.
The more I know, the less I understand.
The less I understand, the more I look.

Offline jackierabbit1

• Hogtied
Re: Names?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:23:36 am »
If it's a science fiction based story I sometimes just mash a bunch of vowels and consonances together in a totally unpronounceable fashion, Xlant, one of the ships in The Ship's Queen is a good example of this. I suppose one could also spell something very rude or perhaps ironically fitting backwards, but I suspect that this wouldn't translate well into other languages.

Just my two cents on the subject, Jackie.

• Global Moderator
  • Bound & Gagged
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:57:12 am »
All things considered, Jackie, I'd say your two cents are worth quite a bit more than that.   ;D

Offline JunS

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:55:12 pm »
There are dozens of random name generators. I will usually google one.

• Global Moderator
  • Bound & Gagged
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:32:36 pm »
There are a lot of them, aren't there?  I usually google when I need one, also.  I just recently decided to keep one bookmarked.  It's easier that way, and the older I get, the lazier I get.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk